Community groups are encouraged to follow basic principles in farming:
- Conservation agriculture: use of no-till practices and cover crops to conserve water and increase fertility of soil.
- Drought-resistant crops: plant a variety of crops to increase the amount of food available under drought conditions. These include finger millet, sorghum, pearl millet, cowpeas, green grams, dolichos lablab and pegion peas.
- Intercropping: plant different species of crop and trees to increase yield, and protect against crop failure.
- Zero-grazing: take the fodder crops to the animals, collect the manure, and benefit animal and soil.
- Cover cropping: use nitrogen fixing cover crops and mulch.